What is Apologetics? The meaning of the word Apologetics comes from the Greek word apologia which means a “defense” or “answer”. Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as a “systematic argumentative discourse or a branch of theology devoted to the defense of the divine origin and authority of Christianity”. Christian Apologetics is the body of knowledge that defends the philosophical, historical and doctrinal truth of Christianity against attacks by others who possess differing beliefs.
As followers of Christ, we live in a world that largely doesn’t believe what the bible has to say about the world we reside in. We should be ready to answer questions, address criticism, and dispel doubts posed towards the bible; all in an effort to lead the skeptic to the truth of the Gospel.
- Strive to answer doubts and questions posed against the bible’s reliability and origin using archaeology, history, science, current events, and prophecy
- Address common misconceptions and arguments about key stories and ideas such as Noah’s flood or the existence of evil
- Examine differing religious viewpoints and the claims they have that pertain to biblical doctrine
“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you…” (1 Peter 3:15)
Archaeology & History
- The Dead Sea Scrolls – Some say the bible has been lost in translation over the centuries but is this true? The Dead Sea Scrolls is an amazing historical and archaeological discovery that shows us otherwise.
Christianity and Islam
- Christianity and Islam: Reliability of the Bible – An in-depth look into the viewpoints in Christianity and Islam concerning the validity and reliability of the Bible using the Dead Sea scrolls and biblical prophecy.
- “Why does God allow evil to exist?” – A common question posed towards Christians is, “If There is an all-loving, all-knowing God, why does he allow evil and suffering to exist?”
- “Why is a Sacrifice Needed?” – The usual view of God is that he is an “all-powerful” deity that can do anything. This includes forgiving sins. So then why is a sacrifice needed in the Bible to do this very thing? To some, this goes against the all-powerful nature of God, but does it really? The Bible tells a different story.
Current Events & Bible Prophecy
- Current Events – Stay up to date on current events pertaining to societal issues, government/politics, Israel/Middle East, natural disasters, technology and their biblical significance as we draw closer to the Lord’s return.
- Commentaries – Here you can find my commentary on current events that have prophetic significance. My goal with these commentaries is to share my thoughts on the significance of world events in a relatively short article while also offering sources to help you deepen your understanding of the topic.
- Examining Prophecy: What is Bible Prophecy? – Bible prophecy is often either avoided by Christians and the church or mocked by non-Christians. Does it only have to do with God’s wrath and the “end of the world” or is there more to it?
- Examining Prophecy: Is Bible Prophecy too vague? – From the secular viewpoint, prophecy isn’t real. If you don’t believe in God or the supernatural, there’s no room for prophecy as well. I take a look at one of the arguments against prophecy; that bible prophecy is too vague.
- Examining Prophecy: Prophecy in other Religions – Often times when I attempt to use prophecy as a means of justifying the Bible’s supernatural origins, one of the common rebuttals I get is that other religions also have their own prophecies which makes Bible prophecy not as “unique”. Is this claim true?
- Examining Prophecy: Nostradamus’ “Prophecies” – One of the most common rebuttals I get against Bible prophecy is a reference to the fact that Nostradamus’ wrote some “prophecies” as well. Usually this point is made to de-legitimize Bible prophecy. After all, if a mere human being can predict future events then prophecy isn’t so special anymore right?
- Examining Prophecy: The Two Witnesses – Despite this prophecy being written almost 2,000 years ago, we can see evidence of the fulfillment of this through the advancements of society and 2 articles stating the exact location and number of people that will be killed as was written in Revelation 11:13.
The Flood Story
- Genesis 6 – A deeper look into the flood story in Genesis; what really caused the flood and was there a greater purpose to the judgement?