Throughout the letters to the 7 churches, we see each letter beginning with a description of some of Jesus’ physical characteristics and divine qualities. First in Revelation 1:13 we get a picture of what he’s wearing, “And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle”. Then in Revelation 1:14-15 he’s described as having hair “white like wool, as white as snow” and “his eyes were as a flame of fire”. Next his feet are said to resemble “fine brass” as well as his voice being the “sound of many waters”. His face was also as bright as the sun in its full strength (Revelation 1:16). We’ll quickly take a look at his 7 other features expressed to the churches:
- “Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks” (Revelation 2:1).
- “And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive…” (Revelation 2:8).
- “And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges…” (Revelation 2:12).
- “And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass…” (Revelation 2:18).
- “And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars…” (Revelation 3:1).
- “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth…” (Revelation 3:7).
- “And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God…” (Revelation 3:14).
The book of Daniel also talks about a “certain man” with similar characteristics to what is shown to use in Revelation:
- “Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz: His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude. (Daniel 10:5-6).
- “And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips…” (Daniel 10:16)
- “Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me…” (Daniel 10:18)
If you enjoyed this study, you can find similar studies on the book of Revelation here including the 7 Churches of Revelation, the 24 Elders, the 4 living creatures, 4 Horseman, etc.